Unexpected News
I went to my postop check-up on Friday feeling very good. The walking is getting better ever day and even getting up and down off the couch gets better every day. I was so looking forward to getting the drain out so that I could wear regular clothes again. Unfortunately, Dr. Clohisy thought that since it's still draining over 100 ml per day that it would be beneficial to leave it in another week so that empty space in my buttocks wouldn't fill up with fluid. But the incision looks great and he used disolvable sutures so no staples to remove. The one unexpected news was that the biopsy he took came back with tumor cells present in the ilium. What I don't think I mentioned before, because I didn't want anyone to worry before we knew any results, was that with the MRI I had before surgery the radiologist had noted a small spot on my ilium and thought it would be beneficial to take a biopsy of it as long as they had me cut open. So after surgery he told Angela and Curt that the bone had looked really healthy so he didn't think that there was any concern. Well, Dr. Clohisy was as surprised as anyone when the pathology report came back that there were some small scattered tumor cells within the bone fibers. So they talked about my case in their weekly group conference he has with all the other doctors and the group consensus was that I should have surgery and take out the bone. Now from what he explained to me (which wasn't much) was that they would have to cut of the top of the pelvic bone and remove some of the muscle attached to it which would affect some movement of my spine and then asks if I have any questions. I answered "No, but I will tomorrow". Because that's how it was when he told me he would be removing my whole gluteus maximus muscle. It wasn't until I was sitting at the computer the next morning looking at the muscle, seeing how big it was, wondering how I would ever function without it, that I started thinking of all kinds of questions. So on the way home I was looking at some pictures of the iliac crest and the muscles attached to it and found that there is a muscle called the quadratus lumborum that is attached to it. Now if this is the muscle that he would be removing it is not good news. This muscle controls the lateral movement of the spine and also some movement of the diaphragm. And of course it will affect your walking. One article I was reading said that if both of the quadratus lumborum were to be removed you could not walk, so having only one is certainly going to affect you significantly. Now I an not sure if this is indeed the muscle he was referring to but if it is don't you think he could have been upfront with me and said "You will never walk straight again". This is a major life changer!
So needless to say I have dozens of questions I need answered before I go ahead with this surgery and if there are any other options that aren't so drastic. But if this surgery would make it so I would not be able to play with my grandkids or go hiking and biking, or be able to go back to work, I will definitely take my chances and trust that God and my body will take care of those tumor cells.
I am scheduled to have the surgery on August 20 but I go back to see him on Friday again and will get all my questions answered and my drain removed so we will see what happens then. Right now I don't believe I will go through with the surgery but I need prayers for wisdom to do what is best.
So needless to say I have dozens of questions I need answered before I go ahead with this surgery and if there are any other options that aren't so drastic. But if this surgery would make it so I would not be able to play with my grandkids or go hiking and biking, or be able to go back to work, I will definitely take my chances and trust that God and my body will take care of those tumor cells.
I am scheduled to have the surgery on August 20 but I go back to see him on Friday again and will get all my questions answered and my drain removed so we will see what happens then. Right now I don't believe I will go through with the surgery but I need prayers for wisdom to do what is best.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home