Empty Nest

Midlife musings from a mother of four.

Monday, July 20, 2015

Blessings Abound

(This blog if from July 15, 2015)
I don't know why it takes a life changing event to make one realize how blessed they are but it often happens.  As my surgery nears and I think about the activities that will be limited for sometime, I all of a sudden have a desire to ride my bike and take walks.  I have been taking walks daily but riding bike is another thing.  All summer I think I have ridden my bike twice.  But on Sunday, July 12, Curt and I went to Itasca State Park in Minnesota.  We rode our bikes from Douglas Lodge to the Headwaters of the Mississippi and back again.  It was a beautiful day and we had a great time.
So the next morning when I was going over to my friends place to go walking I decided to ride my bike instead of hopping in the car and I asked myself why I hadn't done this all summer?  I just had never thought about it.  So the next day I did the same thing.  It was fun and a little added exercise.
This morning I dropped my car off to get an oil change and then walked over to Perkins to meet some friends for breakfast.  After breakfast one of my friends offered to drive me to Quick Lane but I chose to walk back over there.  After all who knows when I'll be able to do that again.
Am I anxious about surgery?  Yes, I am.  Just not knowing what to expect is the worst part.  Not knowing what it will be like to not have a gluteus maximus, how it will affect my everyday activities, how long it will be until I can walk without some walking aid...Just a lot of unknowns.  But I know the body can learn to adapt to many different changes.  I pray for patience and the strength to accept my infirmity for as long as it takes my body to heal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home