Empty Nest

Midlife musings from a mother of four.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Night of the 105.4 temp

It's been over a week since the last blog and quite a lot has happened.  Most of you who will read this will have already heard about it but it's being recorded for posterity's sake.
As you know I have occasionally run temperatures in the evening but usually once I take Ibuprofen and go to sleep and the fever breaks I wake up in the morning and feel well.  Monday, June 8, started out as a good day.  As per my routine I took a nap after my radiation treatment and when I woke up I felt good so decided to go to the church to do some decorating.  I hadn't been at it long when I started to feel nauseated and started having quite a bit of hip pain.  I thought maybe I was just hungry and I had forgotten to take my afternoon Ibuprofen.  So I just sat down for a while, Angela gave me some Ibuprofen that she had in her purse, but after a while I had Curt bring me home.  Angela had stayed to help with some painting of backdrops.  When I got home I was in so much pain I just laid down on the bed and Curt asked if he could get me something to eat but I felt so nauseated I didn't feel like eating anything.  I could tell I was getting a fever and when I checked it, it was 103.  Finally, Angela came home and came to check on me and could tell I was not in a good place and suggested I take a cool bath to get the fever down.  So I guess I got in the bath, even though I don't remember doing this.  Being quite concerned about my state of being she called a doctor in Fargo and told him what was going on and he suggested going to the ER. By this time I was throwing up and a little  delusional.  I really don't remember a lot about happened in the next few hours.  I think I got to the hospital around 7:30 pm and by then my temperature was 105.4.  They finally got an IV started and gave me Zofran and IV Dilaudid (?sp) , drew labwork, blood cultures, CXR, UA.  All of which came back negative.  The only thing that was really low was my Hgb, which was 9.0.  Which shocked me because I have been eating a lot of spinach and kale and all kinds of herbs.  My WBC was 6000, so no signs of infection any where.  So Dr. Jystad called the on call oncologist in Fargo to see what he thought he should do.  Just because the temp was so high Dr. Tingley thought we should come and be admitted in Fargo for observation.  So Angela drove me to Fargo and we arrived there at 0230.  Other than checking labwork and looking for any reason for a temp or low Hgb they really didn't do much.  My Hgb did keep dropping, by morning it was 7.9 and then by afternoon was 7.2 but by the next morning was up to 8.1.  So they discharged me Wednesday at 1100.  I had no temps or even night sweats when I was there.  The internal medicine doctors told me to quit my detox regimen because they thought that could be the cause of the temps and also said that the low Hgb is probably due to the radiation affecting the bone marrow production of it.
So I quit taking any of the detox regimen and I haven't had any more temps and only mild night sweats.  My conclusion is that the detox was doing what it was suppose to do, help fight off the cancer cells.  Which it was doing by the temps and night sweats but having radiation on top of the detox was just too much for my body.  Just like they told me I couldn't take chemo and radiation at the same time because it would be too toxic to my body.  So I may continue detox after the radiation is done.  We'll just wait and see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home