Be Still
This week when reading my devotions, one of the verses was from Exodus 14:13-"Do not be afraid. Be still, and see the salvation of the Lord which He will accomplish for you." Of course this was spoken when the Isrealites were caught between the Red Sea and Pharoh's army coming after them. But God didn't tell them to arm themselves for battle, He said "Be still" and watch what the Lord will do for you. For some reason that verse really spoke to me and has been on my mind all week. I just think it is the greatest promise. All He asks is that we don't worry, be still and watch what He will do for us! You know growing up I remember hearing the proverb, "God helps those who help themselves". So for most of my life I felt that we have to at least do our share before we can expect God to help us out. But come to find out that proverb was spoken by Benjamin Franklin and isn't even in the Bible. In Psalm 46:10 He also tells us to "Be still and know that I am God". I remember one winter day I was walking along the river and the snow was crunching beneath my feet and I was thinking how quiet the woods were and then I stopped and stood still. And all of a sudden the woods didn't seem so quiet. I heard chickadees whistling, nuthatches making their little throaty noises and an occasional "peep" of a downy woodpecker. That verse came to mind as I stood there enjoying all the sounds of the forest. All would have gone unnoticed if I hadn't stood still. So often in life we're so busy making a living we don't take time to live the life God has for us. I hope that each one of you will take time this week and "be still" and see what blessings God has in store for you.

2 Comments:
At 8:21 PM,
Angela said…
thank you, mom. this is a beautiful reminder.
At 11:09 PM,
Jennifer LeAnn said…
One of my favorite songs has the line, "If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans."
He has so much more that we don't see (or hear) and so much more than we can imagine - if only we be still.
Thank you so much.
Post a Comment
<< Home