Empty Nest

Midlife musings from a mother of four.

Sunday, August 02, 2015

Gearing up for Surgery #2

Friday, July 31, I had another appointment with Dr. Clohisy and had many questions to be answered.  He did a great job of answering them all.  I had printed off some pictures of the pelvic area so he was able to show me what part of the bone he would be removing and also showed us on the MRI the area where the tumor cells were located.  I asked if the quadratus lumborum would be affected and he said it wouldn't.  I asked the most important questions to me...will I be able to walk, ride bike and play with my grandchildren and he assured me I would be able to do all the above.  So I have decided to go through with the surgery.  He said it will be more painful because of having to cut into bone versus muscle so I will definitely be staying overnight in the hospital like before.  It's hard to think of going through another surgery so soon and starting all over again with walking, sitting, bending, etc. And knowing I will be in more pain is not a pleasant thought but I imagined I would be in a whole lot more pain with this surgery and I have really gotten along very well so I'm hoping the same will be true with this upcoming surgery.
Angela asked if we could have the part of the bone he removed and smiling he said they have policies against giving people body tissues.  Then I said "I asked him if I could have a picture of the tumor and I didn't even get that".   Then he pulls out his phone and said he did have pictures and he showed them to us and then emailed them to me. So I now have pictures of my tumor.  Oh, another thing I forgot to mention in my earlier blog, the tumor was 95% dead.  He said that never happens.  Usually with radiation you can expect 25-30% but not 95% so you know my body was really working to kill off that tumor.  I'm sure that 105 temp was responsible for part of that!
Angela also asked if it happened very often that there would be tumor cells in the bone behind where the tumor was and he said he has never seen it happen before.  He showed us a picture of the radiation field and that area was within the field so it did get radiated but not necessarily killed.  Even though they may not grow he said it was just good quality of care to take them out so I wouldn't have to worry about them growing.  Because if they started growing it would not be a good outcome.  So there you have it.  That's why I am going through the surgery...so I can be cancer free!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home