Empty Nest

Midlife musings from a mother of four.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Am I going crazy?!

Have you ever had a moment where you thought you were losing your mind? Well, I did on Friday. It started out great, I slept from 8 am to 2:30 pm(after working all night) without even waking to use the bathroom and then went grocery shopping, since we are having Mom and Warren and Carol here on Sunday for Easter dinner. Then as I was putting away the groceries I became increasingly agitated thinking about all the cleaning I needed to do since I was having company that by the time I got to putting the eggs away it took everything in me not to throw the eggs and break every one. And then I began my tirade. I became angry with myself because I had forgotten to mail a gift for Elle, who's birthday is the 25th, and had forgotten to drop off some bags of clothes at the Goodwill. So I ordered Curt to do those errands for me and then proceeded to throw anything that was on the floor in a box, a trunk, a closet or the garage. And I mean throw! I am shocked I didn't break something. I couldn't even talk because everything that came out was harsh and biting. So I was going around like a whirling dervish and poor Curt was just trying to stay out of my way. When I finally got most everything thrown somewhere out of sight I sat down on the couch and started crying, sobbing, because I couldn't get rid of the anger. I felt so out of control and the worst thing was I wasn't even sure what had prompted the whole thing. It took everything I had just to pull it together so I could go to work.
In a small way, I could almost understand how someone could shake their baby, stab their husband or something totally irrational. And people saying I can't believe they could do that, they seemed like such a nice person. Because I almost felt that I could have been capable of doing someone bodily harm if they would have gotten in my way or added one more bit of stress on me. It was really a very frightening feeling of being so angry and out of control and I was trying so hard to get over it but couldn't shake it.
But I am better now even though I am still feeling a bit melancholy. But I get this way on holidays when my children can't come home and I can't go see them and I feel sorry for myself and wish that things could be different. But I will make it through with God's help and a little help from my friends.
Here's praying for happier times!

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 11:30 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    I just got your message and I hope you talked to at least one of us kids this Easter. I took an impromptu trip to Michigan to see Charissa so I was driving most of the weekend, but it was a good, good trip. I thought about calling, but I don't like driving and talking on the phone. It scares me. Driving and dancing, however, is a completely different story.

    I love you! Talk to you soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home