The end of the apple era
If you are looking at this apple tree and saying, "My word, didn't she pick any apples this year?". My answer would be, "This is only what is left after picking hundreds off the ground and picking hundreds to make applesauce, apple cider and apple butter." Yes, it was an over abundant year for apples and I probably made more produce than any other year. In fact, on Thursday I just finished up the last of the apples and made my last batch of chunky applesauce. I took inventory of everything I had canned in my cupboard and found that I had 8 quarts of apple butter, 3 gallons of apple cider and 18 quarts of applesauce, not counting what we have eaten.
But never fear, the birds are feasting on the apples that are still hanging on the tree so they are not all going to waste. I have to say that this is the most apples that have been left hanging on the tree ever. I think maybe because we had a really nice fall. Here is a picture of my produce stacked on the table.



2 Comments:
At 9:43 AM,
Jeremy said…
Oh my goodness. You rock mom and that apple tree rocks. You should get people to come over from church and pick apples to take home next year. I am sure that the birds love all the apples left hanging but I know other people would love apples too.
At 1:31 PM,
Amy said…
mmmm. applesauce. good job on all of that canning. you're right, though, it looks like you didn't even make a dent. it's a good thing the birds like them.
Post a Comment
<< Home