Empty Nest

Midlife musings from a mother of four.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Putting down roots

When I went to get my driver's license renewed on Monday, a man and woman walked in and said they just moved here from California and needed new licenses. The woman behind the desk asked them how they happened to move to Jamestown and he said that he used to drive truck but his back got bad and they just felt that they wanted to get out of the rat race so they let their daughter pick where they would move and here they were. I said, "Well, at least you don't have to worry about earthquakes here". And he said that they lived right on the SanAndreas fault. He watched the crack on his driveway get wider all the time. I really feel that with hurricanes and earthquakes happening more frequently more people will be moving to the midwest where it's all little safer. It always amazes me when people move from a big city to ND. In fact we just had a nurse start who use to live in Pennsylvania and they had always wanted to live in the country and own some land so they looked around on the internet for land and bought some by Gackle. And look at all the people who moved to Jud from the West coast. North Dakota is really great place to live.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Carissa said…

    I've been surprised at how many people from other states are going to UND. A couple that goes to the Grand Forks church moved here from California, too, just to go to UND. They didn't know anybody here, they just wanted to "get away."
    And just today I met another graduate student in the English department who moved here from Washington just because of the small towns and low cost of living.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home