Empty Nest

Midlife musings from a mother of four.

Sunday, January 04, 2026

Another year, same me

 Here it is, Jan. 4...my last kids left this morning and now it feels like Christmas is officially over.  I unplugged the lights downstairs(as that is where the big Christmas tree was this year).  I will probably start taking down some of the decorations, except my snowmen.  It will be a slow process as too much at once is depressing.  This is always a low point for me...knowing it will be a long time until I see my family again.  As I am a bit of a recluse, I do enjoy the quiet and getting back to the normal routine.  Ben's family is always a bundle of energy and fun and it was really nice having Tim and Amy bring their musical talents and letting me play my clarinet along with Tim on the euphonium and Amy on the piano.  It was kind of nice having them here at different times so we could focus on each family.  Angela's time here lapped over so she could see both groups.  The community band is starting practices on Jan. 8, so I am looking forward to that. 

I'm afraid to step on the scale because this was a "no holes barred" Christmas for me.  First time the kids came home for Christmas in a few years so had to do Christmas baking and of course you can't throw any out after the hard labor and love put into it.  But I will make the effort to get into a exercise routine and change my eating habits (once the goodies are gone).  Not the best attitude, most would just toss the goods and get with the program!  Oh, well, that's me, have to gradually get my body acclimated to less sugar.😏

Since the day after Thanksgiving, Nov. 28, my mom has been living with us.  At first she was very weak and needed assistance walking and with personal cares, but she is progressing now and has a little better appetite and can get to her room and the BR on her own and get her clothes changed.  It's not that she is any trouble, she pretty much just sits in the recliner and does her devotions and crossword puzzles and we watch Hallmark movies in the evening.  But it does change the family dynamics a bit.  Curt is very giving but I know it is hard on him not having free control of the remote.  I think she will stay with us through the winter and we'll see what happens come spring.

Looking forward to what the new year brings.  I do pray for a closer walk with the Lord and being open to hear His voice.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home