Empty Nest

Midlife musings from a mother of four.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Journey of Tears

Life doesn't always go as planned and my world shattered Tuesday night,May 18th, when Amy called at 10 pm. to tell me that she had gone for her weekly check-up that evening and they couldn't find a heart beat and that they would be inducing her in the morning. Curt and I left immediatley so we could be there by morning. The drive was long and I couldn't stop crying, asking God why but believing that there had to be a reason we would never understand now. We arrived at the University of Nebraska Medical Center just as Amy and Tim were also arriving. I had prayed that she would not have to be in pain through the labor and my prayer was answered because with the IV pain medication and the epidural Amy was able to sleep through most of the labor. Ben and Ashley arrived around 2 pm. and Steve and Donna got there around 6 pm. Brett also came and brought us Burger King for supper. The time passed amist tears and laughter at times. Samuel John was born at 12:47 a.m. after Amy pushed through 3 contractions. He weighed 6 lbs. 9 oz. and from all appearances he was perfect. The next 2 hours were spent holding and loving him and not wanting to say good-bye.
The next few days passed in a flurry of making plans for the memorial service. Ben and Ashley were amazing and helped Tim and Amy with all the decisions that had to be made but were difficult to think about. Their friends and church family are so supportive and the memorial service was beautiful.
We are back home and friends and co-workers have been so supportive here also. I hope that it will not be too many years before I will be able to be "Grandma" again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home