Note to self
Today I think I finally have a greater understanding of Skye' meltdowns. I've had a very busy week with Pandamania VBS. The week started on Sunday with the decorating which is always stressful. So few people and so much to do and since I can't delegate I end up doing the majority myself and having a terribly miserable time. Ending the day with my husband leaving the house to cool off after I offended him with a comment I made as a result of my exhaustion and frustration. The week of VBS went great, even though I was in charge of crafts, they went reasonably well and the children seemed to enjoy them for the most part. The last day which was Thursday is always a long one and this one turned out to be especially long because at 0400 I woke with a doozy of a leg cramp (not drinking enough water!) and couldn't get back to sleep and then went walking with a friend at 0530 and so continued my day. The last day is always busy anyway with a regular day of VBS, then the program and then the take down. Where once again the brunt of the work falls on me because once again my lack of delegation skills shows up. I guess I keep waiting for people to volunteer their services so I don't have to ask. So after returning home at 2300, my feet were throbbing and every muscle in my body ached from going up and down ladders and basement stairs and vacuuming... I wanted nothing more than to soak in a hot tub of water but was so exhausted that even the thought of running a bath was too much so I just laid on the couch. It was after midnight by the time I fell into a restless sleep. I had arranged to go walking again with my friend at 0630 and when the alarm went off I could barely drag myself out of bed. After our walk I headed straight over to the church to finish up the vacuuming and putting the last few decorations away. Got home at 0900 had a quick breakfast, took a shower and went to my hair appointment, then filled up with gas and went home to put in some laundry and then off to Perkins for lunch with a friend at 1130. Got back home at 1345 and put in another load of clothes and laid down on the couch. Curt got home from work at 1410 and after he changed his clothes he went back over to the church with me to take the poster down and move some furniture I couldn't move and then we went to Dairy Queen and I got a peanut buster parfait. BECAUSE I DESERVED IT! (that's always my rational). We went to McElroy park and ate out treats and then came home to more laundry to put away and a bed to make with clean sheets and I said to myself, "WILL IT NEVER STOP!". Right then I felt that if anyone put one more demand on me I was going to explode!!!! And I thought I wonder if that's how my granddaughter, Skye, is feeling when she has her meltdowns. For instance, you ask her to do what I think is a simple task like getting her PJ's on after her bath. But maybe she is just so tired and that one demand is the 'straw that breaks the camels back'. And all of a sudden she wants to be carried and when you refuse she lays on the floor screaming that she can't get up and you must carry her and I'm thinking she's 4 years old and certainly doesn't need to be carried. But you know, maybe she does.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home