Empty Nest

Midlife musings from a mother of four.

Sunday, June 03, 2012

Sabbath Delight

Last November I finally got off the night shift at work.  But instead of going on call and not being guaranteed any hours, I opted to work the week-end package which meant I would work every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday eight hour evening shifts (2-10:30 p.m.) and get paid for 32 hours of work.  I could pick up extra shifts if I wanted to.  At first it seemed like a good fit.  I could still go to church every Sabbath and I rationalized that my work at ACC was my "mission field".  But after 6 months of working every week-end it started getting old and I realized that going to church isn't just what Sabbath is about.  I missed the fellowship of going to potlucks and missed out on any special Sabbath gatherings.  And then the clincher was once again, "The Chosen" devotionals for April.  For the whole month Dwight Nelson talked about the Sabbath and what a special day God had intended it to be.  A whole 24 hours to fellowship with God and family and friends.  And I decided I couldn't work on Sabbath anymore.  As a nurse, it was always allowable to work on Sabbath because someone has to take care of the sick.  But I decided I didn't want to do it anymore and told my supervisor that I was going to go "on call" so that I could keep my Sabbath.  It couldn't have been a worse time because we had some nurses quit and others on maternity leave but I still will be picking up hours during the week and now I can pick and chose my own hours and it is a really great feeling.  This week-end was my first week-end off and it was wonderful!  I'm still hoping for divine guidance to help me truly make Sabbath a delight as God intends it to be but I'm up for the challenge!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home