Empty Nest

Midlife musings from a mother of four.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Are we being deceived?

In my Sunday morning chat with my daughter, Amy, we were discussing what Easter really meant. I know most of us associate it with Christ's death and resurrection, but then why don't we celebrate it at Passover every year instead of Easter, which is determined by the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. So it got me to thinking and I did a Google search on the origin of Easter and found some very interesting facts. I grew up hearing that bunnies and eggs were to commemorate some pagen fertility god or somethng and never really gave it much thought other than that it was a fun tradition, dying eggs and hunting for Easter baskets. But in doing this could we in some way be honoring Baal the sun god of old? (when you so your search you will understand) I know the devil is clever and does whatever he can to make us be deluded into thinking it's ok because we are connecting a Christian holiday along with it. But it's not! Christmas is the same way. I always thought the denominations that didn't celebrate holidays were kind of weird but now I am realizing that they had the right idea all along. Maybe the Bible never gave us an exact date of Christ's birth because we were never meant to celebrate it. But we do have the time of his death, during Passover. And that should be something to rejoice about. I really think that Christians have been accepting these things blindly, just as I have all these years, and not questioning anything. And we are all "wandering after the beast". Satan is probably sitting back and saying "Look at these so called Christians commiting idolatry and not even realizing it".
I know I am sounding like some of those fanatics that send out those newsletters that I throw in the trash. But I really believe it is important to think about what it is we are celebrating and if it brings honor to Christ. I'll be the first to admit I just accept things and don't question but it's the not the best way to be. It's just like I can't understand why people can't see that the 7th day is the day to worship. I mean it's plain as black and white in the 10 commandments. But I bet if I hadn't been raised an Adventist I would be like all the other Sunday keepers and believe what my pastor told me without questioning.
I quess I've been on my soapbox long enough. Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home